Looking for a stylish and sturdy bag that you can carry anywhere and everywhere? A tote bag made from canvas may be the perfect solution! Not only is canvas durable and long-lasting but it can also be customized to suit your style.
Whether you’re looking to make a statement or need a reliable bag for everyday use, creating your canvas tote is an easy and fun DIY project you can complete in just a few simple steps.
So, let’s dive in and discover how to make your tote bag from canvas today!
The Steps to Make a Tote Bag from Canvas
Making a tote bag from canvas is a fun and practical sewing project you can do at home. Here are the steps and materials you need to make a basic tote bag from the canvas:
- 1 yard of canvas fabric
- Sewing machine
- Ruler or measuring tape
- Ironing board
- Pen or chalk for marking fabric
- Optional: Decorative fabric or ribbon for embellishment
- Wash and dry your canvas fabric before cutting to avoid any shrinkage after sewing.
- Cut two rectangles of canvas fabric measuring 15 inches wide and 17 inches tall. These will be the front and back panels of your tote bag.
- Cut two more strips of canvas fabric measuring 4 inches wide and 30 inches long. These will be the straps for your tote bag.
- Fold each strap in half lengthwise, right sides facing, and press with an iron. Then, unfold and press each long edge towards the center crease. Refold along the center crease and press again to create a finished strap.
- Pin the straps to the front and back panels of the tote bag, about 3 inches in from each side and with the raw edges of the straps facing down. Stitch the straps securely to the panels using a straight stitch.
- With the right sides of the front and back panels facing each other, pin the sides and bottom of the tote bag. Sew along the pinned edges using a 1/2-inch seam allowance. Zigzag stitch or overlock the raw edges to prevent fraying.
- Turn the tote bag out and press the seams open with an iron.
- To create a flat bottom for your tote bag, fold the corners towards each other so that the side seam is lined up with the bottom seam. Use a ruler or measuring tape to mark a line 2 inches from the point of the corner, and sew along this line. Repeat for the other corner.
- Turn your tote bag right out and press all seams with an iron.
And there you have it! Your DIY tote bag is made from canvas fabric.
READ ALSO: How to Make a Tote Bag From Jeans
Making a tote bag from canvas is a great beginner sewing project that is fun and practical. With just a few basic materials and some simple sewing techniques, you can create a sturdy and stylish tote bag that can be used for shopping, carrying books, or as a beach bag.
Follow the steps outlined above, and don’t forget to have fun with the project by adding your personal touches to the design. Happy sewing!