If you need a stylish and versatile bag to carry all your essentials, a tote bag with a leather handle is a great choice. Not only is it functional, but it also adds a touch of sophistication to any outfit.
While it may seem intimidating to make your tote bag, it’s quite simple, and with a few basic materials, you can create a beautiful and unique bag that’s perfect for everyday use.
In this guide, we’ll walk you through the step-by-step process of making your tote bag with a leather handle, so you can show off your DIY skills and carry your belongings in style.
How to Make a Tote Bag With a Leather Handle – The Steps Involved
If you’re ready to make your tote bag, here’s what you’ll need:
- Fabric for the bag
- Lining fabric (optional)
- Leather for the handle
- Sewing machine
- Leather hole punch
- Leather sewing needle
- Sewing pins
Making the Body of the Tote Bag
- Cut the fabric to the desired size. Cut two pieces of fabric for the front and back of the bag and two pieces for the sides of the bag. The size depends on how big you want the tote bag to be.
- Sew the pieces of fabric together. Place the front and back pieces right sides together and sew along the sides and bottom of the bag. Repeat with the side pieces.
- (Optional) Add a lining. Cut the lining fabric to the same size as the exterior fabric. Sew the lining pieces together in the same way as the exterior fabric. Place the lining inside the bag wrong sides together. Pin in place and sew around the top edge of the bag.
Making the Leather Handles
- Cut two strips of leather to the desired length and width. The length should be long enough to fit over your shoulder comfortably, and the width should be about 1 inch.
- Use a leather hole punch to make holes in the leather for stitching. Punch holes at each end and in the middle of each strip of leather.
- Place the leather handles on the bag’s exterior, about 2 inches from each side seam. Pin in place.
- Sew the leather handles onto the bag using a leather sewing needle and thread. Start at one end of the handle and stitch through the holes in the leather and the fabric. Repeat for the other end of the handle.
- Iron the bag to smooth out any wrinkles.
- Trim any loose threads.
- (Optional) Add pockets or embellishments to the bag.
READ ALSO: How to Make a Tote Bag With an Inside Pocket
Making a tote bag with a leather handle is an easy and fun project that can be completed in a few hours. With the right materials and tools, anyone can create a stylish and functional bag that lasts years. Remember to take your time and enjoy the process!